by Sandy Kirby Quandt
Because this delicious gluten-free chicken enchilada recipe is rather involved, and takes approximately 45 minutes to prepare, another 30-35 minutes to cook, and an additional 10 minutes to rest before eating, Pilot put it together the day before and refrigerated it. The sauce was added right before the casserole was placed in the oven. If you refrigerate this before baking, add at least 15 minutes to the bake time.
• 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 small onion, thinly sliced, plus 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
• 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
• 2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chiles, drained
• 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
• 1 (10 oz) can chopped tomatoes with green chiles with juice – Ro-Tel is a good choice
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 1/2 cups sour cream
• 12 corn tortillas, 8-9 inches in diameter
• 4-5 cups shredded cooked chicken – you can use store-bought rotisserie chicken to save time and effort
• 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
• 1 cup shredded Monterrey cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot add the sliced onion, green pepper and cook, stirring until soft. 3-4 minutes.
Add drained chiles, chicken broth, canned tomatoes with their juice, and cumin.
Cook, stirring uncovered, until slightly thickened. About 15 minutes.
Remove sauce from heat and stir in the sour cream.
Arrange tortillas flat on a large work surface.
Divide the chicken, reserved onion and pepper mixture, and 1 cup Cheddar and 1 cup Monterrey Jack cheeses evenly among the tortillas.
Roll up the tortillas and place them side by side in a 13 X 9 inch glass baking dish.
Pour the sauce over them.
Bake uncovered until the sauce bubbles and the tortillas are heated through, 30-35 minutes. Cover with 1 cup shredded cheddar during last 10 minutes.
The recipe said to remove the baking dish from the oven and let enchiladas rest for about 20 minutes before serving. I didn’t wait that long. We waited 10 minutes. Long enough for them to cool to a comfortable eating temperature.
If you think others would appreciate reading this, please share it through the social media buttons.
I wish you well.
Please sign up to receive posts every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. Thanks!