by Sandy Kirby Quandt
If you’ve seen the Last Jedi, perhaps you were impressed with the battle scene between Rey and Kylo Ren. I know I was.
Before the battle, we saw Rey practice, practice, practice. She didn’t just pick up a light saber one day and become an expert the next. Nope. She practiced. Practiced. Practiced. And before the light saber, she became proficient with her staff.
In any battle there is a back and forth. Attack. Block. Attack. Counter. Attack. Dodge. Attack. It all takes practice to prepare for battle.
In spiritual warfare, like Rey, if we want to fight and win the battle Satan wages to control our thoughts, we’ve got to practice. Practice. Practice.
We know Christ defeated Satan through his death and resurrection, but our defeated foe continues the battle to try and take as many of us to hell with him as he can.
There are many ways we can prepare for battle. While this list is not exhaustive, it offers some things we can do to prepare.
- Daily Bible reading. Even a verse or two helps.
- Read Christian Living books written by people grounded in God’s Word.
- Read Devotional material either on-line, or in print. (Like Christian Devotions and Inspire a Fire. 🙂 )
- Write our thoughts and prayers in a journal.
- Be involved in a Bible study either at our church, on-line, or in our community.
- Participate in weekly church service.
- Never stop growing in our knowledge of who God is.
As with any battle preparation, there are also things we need to avoid.
- Stay away from toxic people either in person or through social media.
- Be careful of what we allow into our mind through television, movies, magazines, and books.
- Be mindful of how we spend our time.
- When we feel our thoughts going down paths they have no business going down, pull them back and think on what is lovely, praiseworthy, noble, honorable, of good report …
Before Rey and Kylo Ren faced off, their thoughts were manipulated by the Dark Side Supreme Leader, Snoke, to the point neither really knew what was true.
Satan does that to us sometimes too, doesn’t he? Confusion reigns. That’s when we must hang onto God’s truth; and the best way to know his truth is practice, practice, practice.
Is it not?
May the TRUE force, the ONE who fought our battle on Calvary, sent the devil running, and won be with you.
How do you practice to win the battle?
Leave a comment below to share your thoughts on the subject. If you think others would appreciate reading this, please share it through the social media buttons.
Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts. Never say anything that isn’t true. Have nothing to do with lies and misleading words. Look straight ahead with honest confidence; don’t hang your head in shame … Avoid evil and walk straight ahead. Don’t go one step off the right way. Proverbs 4:23-27 (GNT)
I wish you well.
Please enter your email address on the form located on the right sidebar to sign up to receive posts every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. Thanks!