Body of Proof: The 7 Best Reasons to Believe in the Resurrection of Jesus–and Why It Matters Today by Jeremiah J. Johnston, PhD, is not a light read. It is a book steeped in scholarly research to prove the case Jesus Christ rose from the dead.
While setting out to prove we can be sure Jesus physically rose from the grave, Dr. Johnston laments his belief most followers of Jesus have a “woefully inadequate understanding” and says few are able to articulate the evidence that supports their belief in Jesus’ resurrection.
Body of Proof offers what Dr. Johnston believes are seven best reasons to believe in the resurrection:
- Society is transformed everywhere Christianity is introduced and embraced.
- Jesus called it.
- Jesus demonstrated resurrection power.
- No motivation to invent Jesus’ resurrection narrative is evident.
- Written and archeological sources overwhelmingly support the Gospel’s resurrection narrative.
- Only Jesus’ resurrection convincingly explains the conversion of people not previously his followers.
- Jesus’ resurrection is the only basis for making sense of suffering.
After he discusses his seven reasons, Dr. Johnston concludes his final two chapters by going deeper into scholarly research of ways to argue the authenticity and historicity of Jesus’ resurrection.
If you enjoy in depth scholarly research, Body of Proof may be the book for you.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House for a fair and honest review, which is exactly what I gave.
Have you read this book? If so, what was your impression of it?
I wish you well.
Please enter your email address on the form located on the right sidebar to sign up to receive posts every Tuesday and Thursday. Thanks!