by Sandy Kirby Quandt
If you love chocolate and mint together, these Gluten-free Grasshopper Bars are for you. This recipe is involved, but worth the effort.
- 1/2 c. milk
- 3 c. mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons pure peppermint extract (if you want it really minty, use 1 tablespoon instead of 2 teaspoons.)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 to 8 drops liquid green food coloring (optional)
- 34 gluten-free chocolate wafer cookies (I used a box of Kinnikinnick brand chocolate animal crackers.)
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (You can use chocolate chips, but the bittersweet chocolate works best.)
In a medium saucepan, heat milk on medium until hot. Add marshmallows and butter and stir to melt. Remove from heat; stir in 2 tablespoons heavy cream, extracts, and food coloring (if using); let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides. In a food processor, pulse cookies to form fine crumbs. Add butter and pulse to combine. Press evenly into bottom of the prepared pan and refrigerate. (If you don’t have a food processor, put the cookies in a plastic bag and crush to make crumbs. Combine butter with a fork.)
Once marshmallow mixture is cool, using an electric mixer, beat remaining 1 cup cream until stiff peaks form. Fold a spoonful of cream into marshmallow mixture to loosen, then fold in remaining cream and spread on top of chilled crust. Refrigerate until set, at least 30 minutes.
Make topping: In small pot, heat cream on medium until hot but not boiling. Remove from heat and add chocolate; let sit 1 minute, then stir until melted and smooth. Spread evenly over filling and refrigerate until set, at least 30 minutes or up to a day. When ready to serve, use overhangs to transfer to a cutting board and cut into pieces.
If you think others would appreciate reading this, please share it through the social media buttons.
I wish you well.
Please enter your email address on the form located on the right sidebar to sign up to receive posts every Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Thanks!
[bctt tweet=”If you love chocolate and mint together, these Gluten-free Grasshopper Bars are for you. This recipe is involved, but worth the effort.” username=”SandyKQuandt”]